Monday, February 3, 2014

Our Stories: You're awesome. Own it!

On the 1st of February, I attended my first major genealogy event. Unlock The Past (UTP) were bringing Scottish based genealogist Chris Paton & American genealogist Thomas MacEntee (from Geneabloggers & Hack Genealogy) down under for the 4th UTP Cruise. In conjunction with the cruise, there was also going to be day seminars in Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart, Sydney & Perth. Brisbane was first off the rank on Saturday.  

Last year in August, I was lucky enough to attend to the launch of National Family History Month in Australia. However, my boyfriend came with me that day so I wasn’t all that nervous. This time I was braving it on my own and boy was I flipping out with excitement and nerves. Why was I nervous? It was my first event with other geneabloggers present, and I was expecting to be the youngest there. Plus Thomas MacEntee and Chris Paton are two of my genealogy idols, so there was that too. 

I braved the sea of ‘oldies’ and the day ended up being awesome and one of the best days I’ve ever had thus far!! I met Thomas, Chris and fellow Brisbane geneabloggers Alex Daw and Helen Smith. If you would like to read my very detailed blog post about the day, it’s linked here.

I was pretty much like this inside my head all day –


And by the end of the day, like this –


When I was walking out, I literally felt that now, I can brave any genealogy event! I feel like I can do anything and YOU CAN TOO! Yes, it can be intimidating being the youngest person in the room. Yes, they’ve probably been doing genealogy for a lot longer. But we love it too! So don’t let anything stop you from following your passion and love for genealogy. WE ARE the next generation of genealogists after all. 

What he said ^ :-D

I’m going to leave you with two comments I have received that I think apply to all of us young genies out there. 

“… enthusiasm is rubbing off on those of us who have been around for a long time and sometimes feel a bit disillusioned

“an inspiration to us oldies  

2 comments:

  1. Caitlin,

    I want you to know that your blog post is listed in my Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/02/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-february-7.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete